Skip to main content

Why Writing A Book Is Like Having A Baby

There have been many times when I have all but forced a professor to pry a term paper I spent weeks exhausting over from my pinched fingertips, so it's absolutely no surprise to me that there are a number of articles out there making the association between published books and newborn babies. Or unpublished manuscripts and fetuses. I won't describe them (I'm sure you can already imagine the obsession, anxiety, and midnight cravings), but I can surely understand that it's no coincidence that the average gestation time between the exciting conception phase and the terrifying publication phase is approximately that of a human baby. The phases overlap in ways you can't possibly imagine.

Care to read about what may be in store for you? Here's an interesting article that looks at first-time authorship from a completely psychological perspective:

10 Ways Writing A Book Is Like Having A Baby 

Here's another, albeit with more delightful sarcasm, whimsy, and stark declarations ("YOU MUST NOT NEGLECT IT[!]").

Writing A Book Is Like Having A Baby

If you have any questions or comments, please do leave them below. Perhaps I will one day write my own article - though I will have to admit in it that I have not given birth to a baby or book in my lifetime.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Type of Editing Service Do I Need?

All writers need the services of an editor. No matter how good they are, or believe themselves to be, they are guaranteed to make mistakes. This is much more likely to happen when the creative juices are really flowing and their hands can’t keep up with their brains. Yes, autocorrect can come to the rescue of quick typists who frequently misspell common words while Grammarly catches the sentence fragments and incongruous tenses, but neither of these can take the place of a trained editor.  Yes, you need the services of an editor. And while you may know this already, it is safe to question whether or not you know what type of editing service you need. Thankfully, writing editors can offer up to 4 levels of editing service, each of which cater to a very specific type of writing level, or stage of the draft. It is important to know that while most writers of books may require all 4 levels of service, smaller-scale writing may not necessarily require more than 2 or 3 of these services....

What Are Your Words Worth?

What Are Your Words Worth? Indeed, that is the question that was on my mind when I started this business one year ago. What are your words worth? I imagined myself asking potential clients during 1:1 meetings in coffee shops around North America. Are they worth the little it will cost to have something you will truly be proud of? The thought that I could help university students write solid research papers is what motivated me to - pardon the cliché - start this journey. The idea that I could help budding authors fulfill a dream of writing a book introduced a new path. The understanding that I could help anyone losing sleep at night because of writing revealed to be numerous trails I could happily traipse. The fact is this: everyone who writes needs an editor. Whether the work requires serious content editing or just a few syntactical corrections, that second set of eyes is of fundamental importance to the quality of any piece. Our Facebook and LinkedIn business posts should be ...

Initialisms? IMHO, Don't Use Them

What is the difference between an acronym and an initialism? An acronym is an abbreviation of a word where the initial letters of each word used in the abbreviation are pronounced as a word. Examples of this include AIDS and AWOL. An initialism is exactly the same, except the letters are pronounced separately. Examples of this include HIV and NCIS. If we want to get detailed we can also add mnemonic to this list, but for the sake of brevity I leave that to you to read about in your own time. If you're in business, I recommend that you do. I'll level with you and admit freely that I enjoy the occasional initialism. In both text and Facebook messages I am much more inclined to type TTYL, LMAO, and IMHO than I am to write their meanings out in full. As an editor I know better, but it’s very hard to ignore the delicious autocorrect invitation to skip the typing, and even harder to argue against the fact that almost everyone knows what these letters stand for. The truth is, these...